Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sad Songs (Say So Much).

Maybe I am tackling something new and deranged, maybe I am inspired by something more than I can tackle, but here we go. My friend Roy over at Truck offered me one night to do anything I want, of course someone as crazy as me would say yes, thinking that I would have this covered and I'd get all creative. I am going to stage another one woman show. This time taking a different slant from the last one where I do complete drag standards from Etta James to Barbra Streisand to Della Reese and Broadway Musicals. I am aiming to create a cohesive story line, an actual complete multimedia experience with video and sets and props and stuff to tell something different that popped into my mind at 6 this evening while sewing a new dress. Fleshing concepts out has never been a strong point for me, but hey im always up for a good challenge right, and get this it's all set to Elton John songs. WHY? because he's a big gay icon and i love my big gay icons, his music is iconic, everyone knows it, you either like it or you don't. I grew up listening to his music and you cant help but sing along when you hear one. 
I've always been a fan, so I say why not try something different and step outside of my comfort zone a little and challenge myself into a different direction. Who knows it just might work out!  In writing the storyline though, I wanted to take the route of art imitates life imitates art kinda feel about a lady cabaret singer who is in search of love, finally finds it but because of her circumstances (being that she's a man, really) the man can't fall inlove with her again torch song leit motif of unrequited love and then what perfect icon to give this tran a voice but Sir Elton, a big nelly gay who is in search of love. 
Visually I am going for more of a visconti or  wong kar wai film. I'm filming alot of this in my bedroom and Chinatown, and maybe a nightclub here or there somewhere.
Psychologically im trying to break out of this rut im in and it's a little therapeutic to explore the psyche of a mirror image of myself basically. Always hunting for it in the wrong places. Maybe this is my ultimate Torch Song?
So I hope you can join me for this fun ride as I give you. "Monistat: In The Mood for Love"

1 comment:

andi said...

OMG in the mood for love is one of my favorite movies. i love the story, and the pacing, and everything about it visually. but mainly it's that i LOVE maggie cheung.

i think it's gonna be bizarre in a PERFECT way to juxtapose sir elton with hong kong elegance, i'm excited to see what you do.