Sunday, March 29, 2009

My Favorite Discovery during my vacation: SUSIE SUH

!!!! SUSIE SUH!!!!
when I was in L.A. this past week, Margaret Cho had invited me to Fingerbang. I took my friend Quinn Callicot, and there were some high points - Selene Luna, Kelly Ohmygod shoes in boy drag doing drag of a lesbian ala indigo girls, and of course cock jokes all around. But for me the honest to goodness high light of the show was this AMAZING Korean American singer songwriter named Susie Suh. At first when I met the cast backstage before the show, I didn't notice her, even after she introduced herself to me. Then Margaret kept talking about Susie, and my friend Quinn and I thought that she had Siouxsie Sioux in town, and I was literally going to piss my pants cause how great would it be to have met Siouxsie  Sioux. But as it turned out another beautiful spectre came out and it was Susie Suh! My expectations were more than surpassed and Susie worked me over with her song "Feather in the Wind" she is an amazing songwriter and musician, and my insiders tell me that she really couldnt get signed to honest to goodness record deal because of  her asian heritage... NOT COOL! SO WHAT IF SHE IS ASIAN, SO WHAT IF SHE DOES NOT FIT ANY KIND OF COMMERCIAL BEAUTY SPECTRUM, GODDAMN SHE IS TALENTED AND WOULD GAG TO SEE MORE OF HER... I am totally going to post videos of her in hopes you would love her too and support a bitch! 

5 comments:

Diorable said...

Good Read. Keep it up.

xo
M

sydneyleung said...

WOW! Tell me more about Susie

stephen said...

She is talented but I think it's unfair to say she wouldn't get signed because she is asian... there are tons of famous asians in the music biz...

karen o, the girl in LCD Soundsystem,
the guy in smashing pumpkins, the guy in ponytail, steve aokie, etcccc........

south korea has a big hip hop scene

japan has a ton of noise bands and electronic acts all of which are popular all over the world..

heavy metal is big in china. plus they are throwing raves on the great wall

plus like, shouldnt everyone be trying to market to china?? cause thats where the money is..

monistat said...

Hi Stephen, you don't understand... it is much different being Asian American, than a direct asian person.

stephen said...

So she is direct? Is it cause of the language barrier or the aesthetic she projects?